What is IO-Link?
IO-Link communication covers the "last meters" to the industrial end device, e.g. a sensor or an actuator, as a point-to-point connection. The connection of the end devices is carried out via an intermediary IO-Link-Master and at least a 3-core cable with standardised connectors.
The majority of end devices can be powered directly via the mains power of 24V.
Who needs IO-Link?
- Manufacturers of sensors and actuators
- Manufacturers of interfaces between field bus systems and field devices
- Complete solution providers in control technology
What advantages does IO-Link offer?
IO-Link sensors and actors are connectable to different fieldbus systems, if a appropriate IO-Link master gateway is available. Cost effective microcontrollers allow to integrate more sophisticated functionality into even simple devices. IO-Link offeres a standardized mean to access these functions.
Standardization according to ISO 61113-9 guarantees extensive compatibility between devices from different manufacturers. The advantages of IO-Link are based on three points:
- Simplification of installation
- Simplification of configuration and parameterisation
- Additional diagnosis capabilities